Christmas Safety Tips for Cats
Now that Christmas is right around the corner, here are some Christmas Safety Tips for your cat. We all want to enjoy the holidays without making an emergency visit to the Vet.
- Mistletoe – upsets stomachs & can cause heart collapse.
- Hibiscus – may cause diarrhea.
- Poinsettias – have an irrigating sap that causes blisters in the mouth and upset stomach.
Decorations and Wrappings
- Ribbons, yarn & string can cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine.
- Adhesives & glue – can be toxic & are often attractive to animals.
- Potpourri – contains oils that can be toxic if eaten.
- Candles – never leave lighted candles unattended or within reach of your pet.
- Place your Christmas tree in a stable stand and attach the tree securely to a window or a wall with fishing line. Some have even hung their tree to the ceiling. To keep the tree away from their pets. You can use a Scat Mat. Even though you take precautions, make sure to always supervise your cat when in a room with a tree.
- Tree needles – can be toxic & can mouth and stomach irritation.
- Tinsels – the shininess is attractive to pets. When eaten, it can cause blockage, which often requires surgery to remove.
- Angel hair, flocking & artificial snow are mildly toxic. If consumed in larger amounts, however, they could cause blockage of the intestine.
If you follow these simple tips, your pets will have a happier and safer holiday season.